DIY Crochet Bouquets

Notice anything different? I did a little redesigning here at LI Budget Bride. I’ve been dying to get rid of that other template, but my design skills are seriously lacking. I haven’t touched Photoshop since I was 18 and a senior in high school and that header was the best I could come up with on a late Saturday night. Those are our wedding colors and my sister used those seagulls for our invitations. Since I harassed her so much about those and continue to harass her for our Italian wedding announcements, I decided to relearn Photoshop and make my own header.

Now you know why I’m a writer and not a designer.

After the wedding this whole blog is getting a facelift and you can believe that I will be having a professional helping out. I can’t pay much, but I promise to splash your name wherever I can.

On with today’s post.

A few months ago I decided to forgo real flowers for my wedding bouquet after seeing a few crocheted flowers on Etsy.

Nearly 100 flowers later, I’m finally done crocheting. Chuck is thrilled because now I can get back to work on that blanket I’ve been working for the past two years.

Sorry babe, that blanket will have to wait a little while longer because now I start the tedious task of putting them all together.

I figured that the best way to attach the flower to a stem would be a button. But not  just any button would do. I needed a button that was smooth on the front and had a loop on the back in order to hide the floral wire. Easier said than done.

Well, cheaper said than done.

Button Drama

Who knew that buttons were so friggen expensive? Between my mother and my two grandmothers, I grew up with a large collection of buttons. I even stuck one up my nose when I was three. I just assumed they were fairly cheap. Nope. They aren’t. Simple buttons are about $2 for three whereas the more fancy ones can be up to $7 for three.

One day, during my lunch, I ran over to JoAnn Fabric because I knew that as a fabric store they would have an extensive collection of buttons. After searching the store for about a half an hour, because heaven forbid I actually ask someone where they are, I finally find the buttons and I was severely disappointed. The display was far smaller than I had expected and all the buttons were fancy-shmancy [read: expensive]. But I sucked it up and picked out my buttons.

$70 later I had HALF the buttons I needed.

I called my mom and explained to her my dilemma. Less than a week later she sent me all  the buttons she had that fit my description. I didn’t care about look or color since I clearly wasn’t going for realism here. I kept a few of the blingy buttons and returned the rest, putting $52 back on my Master Card.

Oh, I should mention that the complete button display was in the next aisle. I found that a couple of weeks ago. FML, right?

The Project

BTW, if you haven’t figured it out already, I’m terrible at these tutorials. I can show you how to do these in person, but to actual explain it is beyond my writing skill. And it’s not exactly easy to pull my fiance away from his computer so he can take a picture of me gluing buttons.

You’ll need:

  • Crocheted flowers
  • Buttons
  • Floral Wire cut into 20-inch strips
  • Green Yarn
  • Craft glue

Using craft glue I carefully secured the button to the flower.

Make sure you protect your table. That glue gets everywhere.

 

Once dry, thread the floral wire through the button loop (PS I’m sure the correct term isn’t button loop, but I, unlike my grandmother, am not a seamstress.).

This is what it would look like sans flower. I don't recommend doing this because then glue gets all over the wire when you secure it to the flower.

 

Wrap the green yarn around the floral wire. You can either wrap it or weave it between the two wires.

Chuck likes the weaved look, but it’s a bit more time-consuming and I’m going to be wrapping these stems with a ribbon anyway.

When you get to the last half-inch of the wire, tie a small knot and fold the wire up to secure. Add a dab of glue to the top and bottom of the stem.

Approximate Costs

  • Pink yarn $5.25 x 2 = $10.50 (But I only used one full skein and just a little bit of the 2nd)
  • Yellow yarn: FREE. Bought two pounds when my friend had her baby. Only needed one pound.
  • White yarn: FREE. Bought it two years ago for a blanket I never made.
  • Green yarn: FREE. Thanks Nonna.
  • Buttons: About $20 for 10 after returns. The rest were FREE.
  • Glue: $4
  • Floral Wire: $2.95

Approximate total: $37.45

Tips

  • The costs of all these material vary. You can make it as expensive of a project or as cheap of a project as you want. Most of my yarn was free, but you can buy yarn for as little as $2 a skein. I bought fancy, expensive yarn because it was the color I wanted. Looking back, I do suggest using the same kind of yarn. My yarn was three completely different brands and three completely different weights. It doesn’t bother me, but it would keep your flowers all looking somewhat alike.
  • You can find millions of buttons on Ebay or Etsy, but from the little research I did, it’s sort of a crap-shoot. You’re not 100 percent sure what you’re getting. Buttons are definitely the most expensive part of this project.
  • I bought this giant tube of glue. With that giant tube comes a giant nozzle, which made it really difficult to control the glue. You’re better off buying a couple of the small bottles so you have more control over the mess.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s